Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Tonight's tipple

Hey there again. Tonight's tipple is a lovely South Australian Merlot - Vashon Estate 2004. A delightfully smooth drop from a single vineyard - perfect with lamb chops. It was a special through a wine group who periodically phone with some terrific specials. I will, however, wander through my local independent bottle shops in search of bargains and different offerings.

Reading an interesting new book - "World Wine - The Imported Wine Handbook" by Angus Hughson. Now, despite the silly talk about wine - "cat pee on a gooseberry bush" to describe the nose of a wine, and references to individual tastings being "masculine" or "feminine" it is a useful volume. It is written in an easy to read style with good hints on appreciating wine - right down to an Aroma Wheel to help you describe what you smell and taste, to how to read labels of imported wines. It has given me some suggestions to follow up, eventhough most of the wines he describes are beyond my price point.

Thanks to anon for his comment - enjoy the Chilean wine. A friend of mine spent quite some time there enjoying the produce of the vine. Maybe, this could start me on an adventure beyond the many, many good Australian and New Zealand wines I enjoy.
Cheers

5 comments:

Anon. said...

I emptied a bottle of Wolf Blass Eaglehawk merlot last night. WB is my favourite winemaker and if I'm not feeling adventurous I always go for them. This one sent me glassy-eyed quicker than usual.
TV, rather than books, is usually where I go for my wine information. I've started watching series two of "Oz and James' Big Wine Adventure" on Foxtel's Lifestyle channel. It's nice to watch while having a glass or two myself. Makes me feel like I'm along for the ride.

I'm a wine *drinker*, not a wine *taster*.

Sleepydumpling said...

I think I need that "aroma wheel" so I can describe some of the aromas I encounter on the bus in to work some days.

Unknown said...

How do you feel about chateau de cardboard swillers? If finances permit, I absolutely love most of Brown Brother's range!

Wendy said...

Well thanks Wineman! I too enjoyed that Oz & James show as per Anon. Have you seen it? Watched them through France and lately in the US. Love to see them downunder - what vehicle would they use. Any suggestions? The E-type for France and the huge bus for the US. Mmm..

I'm enjoying a sip of a rather delicious SA Reserve Shiraz picked up at Bargain from Dan Someone's wine place as I write this comment. I'm NOT at work - at home I hasten to add.

Good you've gone onto this tack. Had a great weekend up in the Granite Belt recently sipping and supping our way around.

Angus said...

this is tame compared to what you send dad...